For the employee

Would you want to work in Finland?

If you come to Finland to work and you are a citizen of a country other than an EU or Nordic country, you will need a residence permit. You must apply for a residence permit before you come to Finland. Before you can get a residence permit, you must get a job in Finland. Once you have found a job, you can apply for a residence permit. In order to work, you usually need either an employee’s residence permit or another residence permit for gainful employment. The permit type depends on the work you will be doing.

There is a labor shortage in Finland

The biggest shortage of workers is in health and social care professionals, and the view of the availability of labor in the sector has further weakened since last fall. The shortage of practical nurses and nurses is particularly large, and labor is needed in the field widely throughout the country. At the end of last year, according to the ministry, there were 8,000 job vacancies for practical nurses per month on average. On average, about 4,600 positions for nurses were announced per month.

In Finland, there is also a shortage of workers in the social welfare sector, for example, special specialists in social work, senior doctors and specialist doctors, and early childhood education teachers. Among those suffering from a labor shortage, new professions such as restaurant and large economy workers, whose workers were still in oversupply a year ago, have emerged. Now the situation has changed, and workers are needed all over Finland. In several areas, the shortage has even become large.